The prophets called Israel Sodom because the people had stopped obeying God’s laws. Hear the word of the Lord, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah. Isaiah 1:10. Israel’s relationship to God was linked to their attitude toward His laws.
Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it. Jeremiah 6:19.
Why is God’s law important, then and now? It makes life bearable and eliminates the wicked from oppressing the innocent and righteous. Law is a rule of order and where law is held in contempt order is destroyed and ultimately leads to the self destruction of that government. In this vein of thought there are two things about the present state of American history that I would would like to compare with Scripture.
Man changes from generation to generation and his values change with everything else man touches. Human nature is prone to becoming a slave to self serving pragmatism, opportunism, nepotism, emotionalism and many other numerous enemies of truth. An established law protects us from those enemies. The law remains a solid granite foundation beneath the weak and vacillating tendencies of human change. But when that society flaunts the law undergirding it, or making changes to make it weak to accommodate the weaknesses of its framers, then that society is well on the way to self destruction. Imbedded in the depraved nature of man is this tendency to place himself above the law and become a law unto himself. With the developments in our nations capitol in recent months, the White House has become a soap opera studio. At different times my friends have heard me treat the seven principles of law. Today, in the light of what has happened in our nations capitol, I want to reflect again on these seven principles and apply their meaning to the immoral conduct of our national leaders. Its not just the man who has the morals of a pup in heat, but every person who defends him becoming a party to his deeds. Those statesmen who failed to vote on the basis of legal principle will in time deeply regret the fact they abandoned principle for pragmatism. Many of them will become the victims of their own philosophy of looseness.
Lying and promiscuity has been disregarded as a sin or a crime by the highest and most prestigious legislative body in our government . . . and the whole world. This is quite a message for such men to send down to this next generation that is already crime and violent prone. Every legislator who voted to allow a commander-in-chief of the world’s mightiest nation to lie, commit perjury, violate his marriage vows and live a consistent life of immorality with a number of women while married and holding public office show the same twisted moral judgment as the man they protect deserving the judgment God will mete out to them and their children. On the same note we must commend those legislators who voted on the premise of principle to impeach a chronic liar and remove him from a position where he can incur so great damage on our nation. Here are some reasons why we believe the above. The seven principles of the absolute supremacy of law show us;
(1) GOD: The author of law and the sovereign of an impeccable kingdom. The history of sin and Satan prove to us the excellence of His moral perfection and His determination that evil will not win out over good. God, omniscient, omnipresent and eternal is man’s guarantee that all evil will ultimately be destroyed and that all good will preserved to live in tranquility. The atonement of Jesus Christ and the legal provision for our redemption is all vital to this determination of God’s will for man revealed in the Bible.
(2) GOVERNMENT: God and government are inseparable. God is the supreme ruler of the Universe and wherever you find an order of things you must have a governing force that established those observable laws, preserves them and enforces any violation of those laws. Everything in God’s kingdom, whether divine or mortal has laws He established and built into their existence whether it be a flea or a distant solar system – everything is governed by the laws of the creator. The kingdom is a sophisticated governmental structure made up of archangels, seraphs, a glorious city and a throne of jasper upon a sea of golden glass! An immaculate system of order and respect rules this flawless and eternal kingdom. At one time in the eternity’s past a creature named Lucifer thought to rebel against the perfect system of law and became an outcast making his place in hell. All who rise in anarchy against the order of God’s laws will share his fate with him. Revelation 20:10.
(3) LAW: a. Wherever you have government you will have law because government is a system of law. Laws are what constitute a government. Where there are no laws there is no government. Where laws are flaunted and thrown off, self destruction is inevitable, e.g. the unstable atom and the comet not held by gravitational law fly out into space smashing into another planet.
a.To deny the right of God’s law over my life is diametric to God’s love that provides the law that insures order and peace.
b. Law must be issued from a lawful authority. There is no higher authority than the creator of the governed!
c. Law defined is a rule of conduct established by rightly authority.
Law must produce order and be enforced or it cannot function to accomplish good. When a sense of order is lost and law is not enforced, the inmates have taken over the mental institution. A man endued with wisdom by God once said, Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Ecclesiastes 8:11.
(4) OBEDIENCE: This is the fulcrum on which three elements are balanced on either side and the only way a man or a society can move from law to order. The obedience of man is the bridge between all of the many benefits the order of law produces. The holiness of GOD dwells in the first three principles (God, kingdom, law) while the good of man is achieved in the final three principles (order, peace and happiness), but obedience lies between them. Man can only pass from law over to the bliss order produces by giving due regard for, by being willing to carry out the command, the orders or instruction handed down by rightful authority (God). If man refuses to obey he destroys the bridge that carries him from the knowledge of the Law to the many benefits of Order. Interestingly, this word obedience is derived from an old Latin word (oboedier) meaning to listen. When a stampede occurs no one is listening to what the truth might be. Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to decline after many to wrest judgment: Exodus 23:2. Obedience is the key to order and peace.
(5) ORDER: When the law is obeyed harmony is produced between the variant types of people as they function in daily interactive responsibilities and relationships in everything from driving the highways, working together and even when our children play together. This is the first objective of law (rules for the children who are learning the submission to government) and the first thing achieved by good laws. We can quickly see the order that comes out of law complied with by the yellow lines painted down the middle of the highways we drive every day. The lines are doubled, broken and solid. Each of those different lines dictate to the driver what he can and cannot do. As each driver obeys the law being spoken by the stripe. The result is that all of the drivers on that road traveling in opposite directions are kept from harm as each driver obeys the stripe. That is an orderly arrangement. Just think for a minute what chaos would be on our highways if there were no stripes, no laws and no police to enforce those laws. Law prescribes an orderly arrangement. But when someone disregards the law and violates another person’s property of rights the violator destroys the peaceful arrangement that order has established. ORDER is the supreme goal of law and good government because out of order comes peace – the will of God for every man.
(6) PEACE: Is the state of society the order of law produces. Tranquility of the mind is true freedom. Good laws will produce goodness in those who abide by the law. Actually, if a man desires to comply with law, the law as a requirement, ceases to exist as a requirement. Freedom comes when the desire to do right is greater than law requires. Freedom is the condition of the heart when a person’s desire to comply with the goodness of the law is twice as great as the law requires. Peace only issues from order which law produces. God spoke through Isaiah and said, There is no peace, saith the Lord, unto the wicked. Isaiah 48:22. Wicked is the Hebrew word rasha meaning, an actively bad person. That is, someone who commits aggressive sin as opposed to passive sin (unintentional or not constantly). When a man’s ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him. Proverbs 16:7.
(7) HAPPINESS: The highest state of man is that he finds happiness in goodness. By goodness we mean a nature that seeks the well-being of others regardless of what it costs. All good laws are founded upon altruism that seeks the good of others no matter what the cost to me. The greatest demonstration of altruism is in the act of Christ’s atonement as our substitute in the death penalty law placed on the depraved human race. True happiness is rooted in the goodness of altruism which God’s moral law produces in the obedient.
Solomon became the king of Israel after his father David established it. He took Israel to its highest peak of power and glory among all of the other nations in the earth. BUT, Solomon began to depart from the law of God and took on the moral habits of the heathen around him developing a lust for exotic wives and concubines; he started compromising with pagan gods and making alliances with the heathen kings rather than trusting God’s keeping power. By his personal example he sowed the seeds of corruption in the gold gilded kingdom he built that brought it down to ruin and captivity. He knew how to build and establish a national golden era, he was a good politician, but he did not understand the critical relationship between character and social qualities. He destroyed the golden era he authored and brought destruction to the temple he built to God’s honor.
He made Israel strong and invincible to its enemies without but then introduced the moral within that destroyed it from within.
Liberalism subjects the law to the changing demands of the people.
Conservatives subject the depravity of the people to the established principles of law that never changes.
When America places a man or any group of men above the law of God and the land we have become like Sodom.
When Jesus spoke of the judgment that fell on Sodom He made no mention of the homosexuals who apparently roamed the streets of Sodom in bands completely in control of the city. (Genesis 19:1-25) Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Luke 17:28-29.
There were surely many people in Sodom and Gomorrah that were not perverted and lived ordinary lives. Many of them were polite and generous. They often spoke with one another about the terrible crime rate and the way the homosexuals roamed the streets committing hideous crimes. But this great multitude of “good people” never did a thing to stop evil. Its possible that the great majority of the people were not homosexual or perverted but they never did anything to stop those who were! The great silent majority tolerated the wickedness. They often discussed the lifestyle of the homosexual and then with a sigh they would concede that this was a choice of life-style and God just made them that way. As long as they don’t bother me they can do what they want to. This great multitude of Sodom and Gormorrah represent the thousands of shades of gray between the pure white Lot’s and the pure black homosexual minority. The shades of gray met their fate with those they tolerated and excused. The shades of gray went along with what was political correct rather than stand with Lot. When Jesus mentioned Sodom and Lot’s deliverance from the fiery judgment of that city He never singled out, nor did He mention the homosexuals. Why? Because those who tolerate wickedness will perish with the wicked.
Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. Romans 1:32.
Judgment beyond the imagination of mankind is soon to strike this planet and it will not miss Sodom, USA.