Daniel 12:3 “And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.”
Daniel 10:8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength. 9 Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground. 10 And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands. 11 And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling. 12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.
If Daniel was so affected, a man to whom scripture attributes no faults or sin to, how shall the worldly, the carnal, the “holiness” people who have so little compassion – How shall a man stand in His presence who has arrogantly denounced Christian perfection and slandered those who have stood for separation and traditional moral values of the church fathers – oh, the horror of that encounter between those religious wicked and a holy God’s Glory God! And this encounter Daniel was having was only an archangel! See Psalm 50:14-23.
Daniel 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
Credit will go to those who “turn many to righteousness” and not to those who “in Thy Name done many wonderful works.” There is a difference. Biblical salvation begins with biblical conversion. Matthew 7:22; Romans 10:10..pc 30
Hosea 14:9 “Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the Lord are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein.”
Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
At the end of World War II General Patton was in the last great tank battle with Rommel that brought the final downfall of the German forces in North Africa. General Patton walked out onto the smoking battlefield strewn with dead American and German soldiers and shouted, “Rommel, I read your book!” Rommel had written a book on tank warfare and George Patton, being a good commander, wanted to know as much about his enemy as possible, so he read Rommel’s book on tank warfare, and because he read that book, he learned Rommel. Knowledge is power and advantage – especially the knowledge of God’s Word.
Hosea 6:3 Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.
First there is the rainy season that signals the end of the growth of the harvest. It is the events that take place after the latter rain that are most important! The latter rain only alerts us. For, you see, after the latter rains (last) comes the dry season when the grain turns golden and dry. Then quickly the grain is cut and let lay until there is the proper low moisture content. Then, and only then, is the grain raked and stored in the garners!! You don’t have a harvest in the rain. You don’t actually have a harvest until the grain is brought in from the fields and stored! Have we confused the latter rain with the actual harvest? They are not the same! There is much more to happen to the church after the rain. The latter rain signals the reaping. Have we been wondering what has been happening these latter years to the latter rain? Have we passed through the latter rain and entered into the dry season in preparation of the great harvest? The farmers understand the importance of the dry season. Upon examining the latter rain of Joel’s prophecy and conditions developing today in the so-called era of the Charismatic movement, we see a difference between the latter rain realities of the first 50 years of the Pentecostal movement and the last 30 years of the Charismatic movement. There is a noticeable difference between the outpouring at the turn of the last century beginning with the ministry of Dwight L. Moody, and the beginning of the Charismatic movement in approximately 1950. What marked the early (1900) outpouring that is not a part of the Charismatic claims.
1. SPONTANEITY – All one needs to do is read the accounts of the early outpourings such as recorded in Frodsham’s work. There was no human elaboration of spiritual power. We didn’t wear pins and necklaces to advertise Him and it was far from popular to be in the camp of the Pentecostals. Today we’ve made the Holy Spirit a celebrity and the baptism of the Holy Spirit a symbol of “charisma,” something of a novelty while the full range and manifestations lessen or are claimed to exist (coexist) with rank worldliness and lack of moral principle.
2. GODLINESS – The early outpouring thrived in the atmosphere of holiness separation from the world) people. The lifestyle of the early Pentecostals was simple and separated. They began to experiment with vanity in the name of expediency – after all, the world listens to us if we don’t put so much difference between ourselves and them. They further discovered they could be vain, worldly, watch adulterers and fornicators on TV and still speak with tongues. We stopped practicing separation and decided after some experimentation that we could shiver, jerk, cry, speak with tongues, be extravagant, lewd and fashionable while enjoying this fundamental faith in Christ. We removed articles from the constitutions of our churches that named worldly practices. We started going back to the movies, and in fact, have Pentecostal movie stars! We buy and sell on the Lord’s day. We strip down on the public beaches and even hold cosmetic classes for our ladies in the church. Divorce is common now with some couples even switching partners, remarrying and staying in the church. Yes sir … we’ve come a long way in our pursuit of the deeper life. In fact, we became so thrilled with this discovery that we decided holiness was all wrong and just non-essential legalism. We decided that our human experience and feelings are sufficient to guide us. We know now that holiness is a troublemaker.
3. SACRIFICE – The human nature cannot tolerate and will not take an injustice. You must be divine to take a wrong without reacting with anger or revenge. Matthew 5:39. The early outpouring of the latter rain carried the theme of “sacrifice.” The Holy Spirit teaches us to be frugal and self-denying. Look at us today … a lusting bunch of chocolate soldiers all dressed up to kill. So programmed to luxury by our air-conditioned world we can’t even produce a generation that can evangelize the hard places of world. We’re cosmetic, soft and self-indulgent. Our fathers of just three generations past launched the full Gospel on its mission of world evangelism. In those days we accepted sacrifice in the form of privation, persecution … and even death! See Sacrifice, Contentment, Discipline. Today the call of God is stymied with educational requirements, psychology tests and mission boards who do not even have a life of prayer! Missionaries return from the field defeated at a high rate. We’ve lost the spirit of sacrifice.
4. ANOINTING – In the time of the latter rain the anointing was common and mistakes were admittedly frequent. Today education, professionalism and religious humanism has turned us into respectable institutions smothered with programs and entertainment. Sophistication and respectability not only makes us more acceptable to the world, but has (which we would never admit to) encroached the anointing of the Holy Spirit. To be socially respected and raise our social acceptance to a worldly level, we have ignored the Bible standards and the moral state of the church in the process.
7. PERSECUTION – Jesus said, “in the world you will have tribulation.” John 6:33. He also said, “If the world hates me, it will hate you also.” John 15:18. The latter rain church grew and thrived on the hate and persecution heaped upon it by the world and its enemies within the church! They hated us because we were loud and holy! Pentecostal denominations grew at such a fast rate it was the only thing the world and the nominal churches could say about them. But as we passed through the period of the latter rain and moved into the Charismatic period we began to see our reproach through backslidden eyes. Charismatic emphasis grew to feel persecution and zeal was unnecessary, after all, “we are not second class citizens.” We have certain dignities and we ought to show the world we can do anything they can do and still be Christians. So these Pentecostal businessmen and Catholic Pentecostals, displayed an extreme loyalty to the tongues experience even though through this “revival” of the 50’s all attention toward sanctification, holiness, separation and righteousness was being dropped from mention. We grew to despise this idea of separation and rejected the Bible holiness of the Fathers for this new thing which the Catholic Pentecostals gave us. The theme of perfection gave in to liberalism and “holiness people” became “Charismatics.” But original Pentecost, the pure latter rain movement, did possess these qualities; 1) Spontaneity, 2) Godliness, 3) Sacrifice, 4) Anointing, 5) Persecution. These qualities hardly exist in the church of today. The Charismatic gatherings of today are not at all the same religion the fundamental churches embraced the first half of the twentieth century about the time of the start of WW II. Therefore, the modern Charismatic movement has its own era and identity. Neither does it bear the biblical image of the early church. It can be identified as a movement that came out of the latter rain, but is not a latter rain movement as it believes itself to be. But like a comet, the real thing has come and the real thing has gone! Charismatics, not being a movement that teaches the apostle’s doctrine or the moral transformation that Jesus and Paul, Peter and Jude taught may be emotional but without the pure doctrines of biblical justification and sanctification as the foundation of their message holds the credentials of the Holy Spirit without these vital factors. It is only kept alive with emotion and the remnants of a pure fundamentalist religion. It is the Laodicean movement of Revelation three that has no moral theme whatsoever. It claims life and riches and cites prosperity as the sign of God’s blessing and approval. But it has none of the moral characteristics of the Bible church. Sincere Christians who are in it should move into the Word of God and repent of their identity with it. We are in the period of the dry season. We are a generation of great spiritual claims. God describes us as He sees us. If you are a true member of the remnant and you are in touch with God, you will be like Anna and Simeon, you will know the true condition of the day you live in. I Chronicles 12:32. We are not in a period of revival, we are in a period of apostasy in spite of loud Charismatic claims. This is not to say that God will not do signs among them because they are Charismatic. God blesses people and honors faith and pays no attention to where He is when He finds it. The Charismatics as a movement are anti-sanctification and especially do they hold in contempt separation. There are two doctrines that constitute sanctification; devotion to God, a selfless affection that desire only to please God; and separation from all the evil influences that have their origin in the world by ungodly and unregenerate man. Amos 5:20.
Hosea 7:2 And they consider not in their hearts that I remember all their wickedness: now their own doings have beset them about; they are before my face. (See Psalm 50)
Moral digression leads to self-destruction. God’s silence and patience is not to be confused as God’s approval! Psalm 50:21 Sooner or later God must make sin, continued rebellion and flesh honoring religion come to its senses. God’s first reason for remembering “all their wickedness” was that in the anguish of it all they might repent. Revelation 9:20,21; 16:9,11.
Hosea 9:9 They have deeply corrupted themselves, as in the days of Gibeah: therefore he will remember their iniquity, he will visit their sins.
So again we see as in Hosea 7:2 and Psalm 50:21, that iniquity is not always judged immediately. Sometimes it is “remembered” later.
Amos 5:24 “But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.”
Amos 5:15 Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the Lord God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph.
God’s people are not called to love, but to love good! Revival is always marked by a return to morality. An emphasis of love apart from goodness and justice and the establishing of judgment (impartial treatment of good [people] and evil [deeds]), becomes nothing but human sentimentalism. Materialism genders the philosophy of positivism. Here God instructs His people to return to a balance of moral action. The neo-Christian movement has become a love cult, but true Bible holiness is only achieved so long as we hate evil as much as we love the good. There is no such thing as the love of God apart from a perfect hatred for sin. Psalm 97:10.
1. We thus conclude that the love of evil is sin (all evil being rebellion against the laws of divine government).
2. There is such a thing as sinful love, and holy hatred. Hebrews 1:9.
Amos 5:18 Woe unto you that desire the day of the Lord! to what end is it for you? the day of the Lord is darkness, and not light. 19 As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him. 20 Shall not the day of the Lord be darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it?
HUMANISTIC FUNDAMENTALISM The curse of the Second Coming. See 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12.
1. Belief in the second coming of Christ is no sign of valid fundamentalism. Amos 5:18.
2. Praise is no sign of genuine Christianity. Amos 5:21-22.
3. Emotional music and worship is no sign of genuine Christianity. Amos 5:23-24.
4. Where is genuine Christianity? Amos 5:24.
“Lord, who shall abide in the tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart. He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour. In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not. He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.” Psalm 15:1-5. 2 Timothy 3:5.
Amos 5:23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. 24 But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. (Psalm 80:4)
The new electronic evangelism approach has turned church pulpits into religious vaudeville act centers. First we copied the world’s methods, now we are governed by their motives. Like methods represent like motives.
THE MODERN GOSPEL MUSIC INDUSTRY IS MERCENARY
Many Gospel singing groups require a large fee before they will schedule an “appearance.” Many of them will not even schedule in churches and some are handled by booking agencies only. When any spiritual ministry is mercenary in its operation, without admitting it, it has become secular, but always behind the words, “Our prayer is that Christ will be glorified.” They set their salaries on the level of those of the world, claiming that “Gospel workers in the kingdom of God have a better message and are promoting a good cause and therefore we should be paid even better than the world’s entertainers.” There’s only one hitch to that philosophy; God doesn’t have any “entertainers.” The premise of making a demand of money for spiritual ministry is a corruption of the divine intent! These practices and philosophies do not reflect the biblical moral nor manifest Holy Spirit ethic.
MODERN GOSPEL, CROSSOVER AND “CHRISTIAN ROCK”
Crossover music attacks the holiness and dignity of Christ and violates the biblical principle of separation. 2 Corinthians 6:14-18. Christians who claim the indwelling of the Spirit of Christ will reject crossover music as being insidious. Corrupt and evil influences grow in the body of Christ because Christians do not refuse to listen to slang and jargon directed at the person of our Lord. One such Gospel song speaking of Christ says, “I know that God is almighty, I have seen Him do His stuff.” Another song says of Christ, “He’s a nice guy.” These are not Holy Spirit inspired words. The Holy Spirit’s ministry is to “glorify” Christ! Common, base slang language used in modern Gospel songs are planted in music by Satan to downgrade deity and corrupt biblical concepts of the majesty of God. Street slang comes from gutters, not from Heaven! John 16:14.
MODERN GOSPEL SONGS ARE COMPROMISE SET TO MUSIC
Another modern song says, “It can’t be wrong, when it feels so right.” This song advocates: What feels right is right. It smacks with suggestive, adulterous behavior in the attempt to relate to the immoral subculture. i.e., existentialism, self-expression and situation ethics. Ephesians 4:14.
Modern church rock promotes personality. If they could produce Gospel music without “me” or “money” in it – how many would be in it? Man’s musical preferences reveal his level of grace and his state of conscience. Worldly rock identifies with two things; 1) Bizarre self-promoted personalities, and 2) Obsession with drugs and sex. Church rock identifies with the same forces in a religious form. Rock is flesh nature music appealing to and stimulating carnal behavior. Religious rock is entertainment. History proves that entertainment makes any society soft. Softness is diametric to the disciplines and hardships of world evangelism. Rock does not induce the worship of the Spirit – it induces sensual pleasure. Theatrics, showmanship and personality cults had no part in the early church. When these practices become features of the church it only declares the true state of the church. As the church turns carnal, so does its music. The obsession with musical programs in recent years has been mostly responsible for clapping and personality admiration being introduced into the church, corrupting spiritual forms of worship. Clapping for performance is not biblical. Clapping in churches came to us from the theater. Clapping unto the Lord in praise is acceptable according to the Psalms, but not practiced by the early church. Clapping in conjunction with music or ministry in the church has no precedent in the New Testament. It is definitely a Charismatic tradition. We gather at sings as if God was the jolly green giant. With stars in our eyes we adore Him for His goodness to us. We haven’t won a soul to Christ in years. We are laden with self-deifying cosmetics, watch the soapies by the hour and have no private prayer life. We have nice homes, insurance and security, we give nothing to the poor, we gorge in expensive restaurants and we pay millions to tour Israel. Our indulgence in music is just another shameful way the uninhibited flesh life finds pleasure in the name of “blessing.” “Cure selfishness and you have just planted the garden of Eden”. -Belinski See Colossians 3:16. Music that does not worship or induce worship, but rather entertains, does not edify the spiritual life. The message of sanctification should be the chief joy of the saint. See Heart Holiness; Psalm 119. When it becomes otherwise, a wise pastor will repent and correct the trend. To test the spiritual values of any church, announce an “all night Bible study” for one Saturday evening and an “all night sing” the next and see what happens. Subtle, insidious and morally disarming humanistic doctrines are being transmitted to people under the lull of musical sound.
ROCK MUSIC IN THE CHURCH
1.During the Victorian or Puritan age of history past, man’s popular music was born out of a cultured human spirit. Classical music that came from Beethoven, Bach and Tchaikovsky was music born out of the spirit of cultured men (not necessarily the Holy Spirit). By cultured we mean that mankind’s ideals placed great emphasis upon dignity, propriety and productivity. Refinement was a mark of the majority of citizenry in the period of the Renaissance. Mozart wrote 636 symphonies in his lifetime. A tremendous feat when you consider he wrote his first symphony at the age of 5 and died at 35. He produced all of his work in 30 years and the world still hails him. Rock is the music of the young, not the old. Mozart’s work has been loved for centuries by all. There were times in history when the moral ideals of men were much more closely aligned to the morals of scripture, or at least the moral consensus of society was with less public license in regard to immoral conduct. Rock music originated in recent times in the person of Elvis Presley, and later the Beatles of England. Elvis Presley attended an Assembly of God church in Memphis, Tennessee, but his style of music was not given him by the church. I heard Elvis Presley’s former pastor address the General Council of the Assemblies of God when I heard him say something like this, to thousands of pastors present, Pay attention to you young people because you never know who they are. Elvis Presley rejected Christ and chose rather the pleasures of sin, becoming the world’s first great rock star. His performances were characterized by sensual pelvic motions. The Beatles were also sub-culture and immoral, identifying openly with the drug culture. Rock music had its origin in the time of the sexual revolution of the sixties and cradled in the drug culture. Rock and classical music, therefore, are distinguished as having two different moral environments, cultural value system and social cast types in their origins. A rather recent twist to church rock is the formation of “Christian” heavy metal rock groups. One of the first and most noted was the group called, STRYPES. They wear the bizarre clothing and display every visible feature of the hard rock heavy metal arsenal including the bisexual faces of women. Buried deep in the depth of rock sounds are words that speak of Christ. They imitate in every way the hard rock talents with only one exception … the words which often you cannot understand. Is this God’s idea? The Lord gave us a simple to understand commandment through Paul the apostle; “be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed…” Christianity is to imitate Christ, to be Christ-like. When any person imitates the world it becomes impossible for them to be Christ-like. Here again is the great principle of holiness; “Be ye holy, even as I am holy.” Holiness includes the consecration of the body. Modern Gospel proponents practice a religion that refuses to inhibit the flesh, to put it to death by self-denial. While practicing worship, these people allow the life of the flesh to go uninhibited in worldly flesh pleasures. Spiritual apostasy has been greatly accelerated by the neo-fundamentalism philosophy that excuses the body from obedience to biblical morality.
The philosophy of these people who try to mix Jesus with their ungodly lifestyle in order to “win young people to the Lord,” have been duped by a demon of apostasy whose name is pragmatism. His cohorts are two other demons we identify as relativism and expedience. All three are from hell!
Rock is dance music.
Rock music appeals to low life, low taste sub-culture kind.
Rock music induces body consciousness.
Rock played by so-called Christians will draw certain Christian youth into the rock sessions. It is impossible to indulge in rock of any kind and obey in spirit such scriptures as Romans 12:2; 13:14; 2 Corinthians 6:19; 7:1; Colossians 3:1-6; I John 2:15.
2. While man’s immoral tendencies have always been basically the same, there have been periods of greater or lesser social moral influence. The time of the Renaissance was a period of higher moral ideals. Our present Western society is more tolerant to immorality than that of the cultures of the near East and Eastern Europe (Communist Countries). There were some notorious periods of low morality, such as the era of Sodom and Gomorrah, the sensuous Roman Empire and certain ancient pagan societies (study the moral standards of Corinth). These produced the same licentious form of arts and open sex as allowed in most Western societies today. The modern Gospel blends with the moral revolution while the traditional holiness movement takes exception to it and refuses its influence. See Matthew 7:17. The origin of rock music proves it is evil. Anything that is good must have a good origin. If you want to know if something is good or evil, just trace it back to its origin. While rock originated in the person of Elvis Presley, it developed rapidly in the psychedelic drug culture period of the early 60’s. It has always been the music of the drug culture and has been openly professed as “the devil’s music” by its authors. At an Indonesian convention, American rock singers were stopped in the middle of their song by the Indonesian brethren because they were “playing the same music we once used to call demons when we were in witchcraft.” There is no such similarity between hymns and spiritual songs. There is the argument that rock music is like all other music, it is only a matter of personal taste. That is a glib and oversimplified reply and should be rejected immediately by any thinking person. First, we must make a difference between spirit (not the same as spiritual) music and body music. Spirit music expresses the feelings; emotions, ideals, worship that glorifies the holiness of God. “Christian” rock is body music with Christian lyric – just another attempt of Satan to link flesh religion with fundamentalism to corrupt it. Rock sound originated in the lowest and most immoral environments of the recent world (drugs, rebellion and sexual promiscuity). It is a Satanic revival of rebellion and self-expressionism. By adding Christian lyrics to rock sound, you cannot make ROCK music spiritual! This is not the music of a human spirit, but of body appetites and evil spirits.
3. The company it keeps and the people who promote it. Spirit music appeals to the cultural instincts of man if he has any, his desire to self-improve, his dream of refinement. It has been historically true that church music followed the style of music being played in the world, but that was when worldly music of past eras was of much more refined quality in the world, and the origin of past music reflected the feelings and ideals of noble men. No social psychologist would deny the music of today is related to the drug culture. The new morality, self expressionism, combined with the inspiration of hallucinatory drugs, head the rebellion against traditional values. The drug/rock movement is diametric to and against culture, against order, against self-refinement, and against the very idea of the dignity of life. Rock rebelled against all of these qualities of human refinement and is the music that expresses that spirit.
GODS OF THE YOUTHFUL PERSONALITY CULT
It features the worldly “star” or “stars” on Rock Music the stages of entertainment showing off their electronic skills and inviting the worship of their admirers. It reeks with the style of the world, the precedence set by the Beatles, KISS and other demonic wordings. It is a far cry from the style of music set by the precepts of holy scripture … “with psalms and hymns.” Rock music has a body origin. It comes from and promotes the promiscuous sex lifestyle of swingers, homosexuals and libertines. Its theme is sex, its beat is sexual, its words are full of suggestive jingles describing the sex act – appealing to fornicators and adulterers. While it exists in the same world as the symphony, a different kind of people go to the rock session than to the symphony concert. Modern youthful and amoral “Christians” have tried to foster this body music upon the church. It is impossible to do without bringing a carnal influence upon the youth of the church. Anyone who is in the Spirit will be disallowed by the Holy Spirit within them to ever accept it. It is such a diverse kind of music that some rock musicians cannot even play normal music. An evangelist asked a rock musician to play “Coming Home” for the altar service and he couldn’t even do it. Just before this he had filled the air with all kinds of LOUD “sound.” Rock is sound, music is melody that appeals universally to the higher part of human nature. Rock does not have universal appeal. It appeals to the base of man’s flesh nature. Hard rock entertainers bite off the heads of live chickens, advocate drugs and sing on one theme; sex. And the modern contemporary Christian speaks well of “Christian rock?” See Amos 5:23; Ephesians 5:19; Isaiah 14:11; 24:8; Ezekiel 26:14; Amos 8:10; Colossians 3:16. If the real Christ stepped forth from the pages of scripture and began to make a scourge with His hands, knocking over money changers and shouting, “My house shall be called a house of prayer,” these same people who advocate Christian rock would not accept that Christ! When we find that He rejects our practices, will we love Him then? When He crosses us and disagrees with us in the judgment, it will be over the issue of purity and holiness. That alone is the concern of God. The “Lord” these modern Christians love is a Lord they have created in their own imaginations, not the Lord of the temple who wove the scourge demanding compliance to the moral commandment.
SATELLITE CHURCHES – with dishes outside the sanctuary channeling celebrity preachers onto giant screens inside the sanctuary is an effort of mercenary ministries to tap another source of financial income. It is another infringement upon the divine order of the church. It violates the scriptural methods God has endorsed regarding the proper function of the local church. What begins as a supplemental meeting, a novel diversion from the norm has subtle and far reaching ethical impact upon the church spiritually.
a. Pastors will not be able to correct “big name” men who teach error.
b. The shepherd/flock intimacy is violated by an unaccountable voice in the local assembly.
c. A new source of discord and contention is introduced into already troubled church life when the pastor and satellite celebrity disagree.
We have sacrificed the “foolishness of preaching” for a new kind of electronic personality. We have abandoned the ideas of piety and godly disciplines. The new Christianity has a new image called success. What is the effect of super satellite preacher “dishing” out their doctrines to local churches? The denominations now must compete with the para-church satellite preachers as they realize they are losing their hold on their constituents. Thus forcing the greater part of the evangelical movement (especially among the Pentecostals who are leading the way in the break from local church authority) to capitulate from biblical evangelism to the methods of result (numerical, financial) oriented evangelism. While the local minister and especially his people may be committed to their denominational heads, the divided loyalty of his people will also be to the super satellite celebrity! The body of Christ will be torn and morally corrupted as it is appealed to for its patronage. The local church has always been more interested in moral standards than the fellow out there in the TV studio. But now that interest of the local pastor in the moral state of the believer must yield to the intimidating powers of the TV celebrity preacher if they’re to hold the loyalty of the people. Local pastors do not dare (the majority who are not in the “super pastor” category) speak contrary to the teaching of the satellite preacher. The satellite ministries are outspokenly anti-holiness. The local pastors actually becomes assistant pastors in their own churches. Many pastors have confessed that if they should take a position against the doctrinal errors of the satellite preacher they “would split their church down the middle.” And many churches have been split! But this condition will become less frequent as pastors are “learning” that “it’s better to surrender to the false doctrine of the TV teachers than to split the church.” Result: the TV celebrities enjoy their unbiblical and unprecedented control over the local pastors and their congregations. Secondly; they enjoy an unprecedented position of importance and vocal input into the church universal without being accountable to anyone!
One after the other, new schemes of competition will set in between the denominational directors and the super satellite celebrities to vie for the loyalties of the adherents. The inevitable outcome is that moral standards will be set aside as each side strives to please the listeners. Holiness congregations who have refrained from owning televisions don’t have the problems created by the satellite ministries because the teaching they have received disallows television and blind loyalty based on the celebrity figure’s prominence. In the end, those “simple holiness people” who held to the Bible emphasis of character, and practiced the principles of practical holiness will avoid the confusion the personality cults are bringing to the denominations. In the end their simple dedication will prove them right. The only other factor involved is God’s judgment on the whole carnal state of affairs unless Christians and churchmen repent and return to the original biblical design of church government and quality discipleship. Jeremiah 6:16.
Before you send money to any TV ministry or magazine I can tell you how to prove they are who they say they are. Just send them a request to see their last annual financial report. They may have their accountant send you a letter stating that their financial practices are audited and found to be in order – but that is not a financial statement.
Jonah 3:10 “And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.”
Micah 6:8 “He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?” (See Psalm 15)
Nahum 1:3 “The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the Lord hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.”
Habakkuk 1:13 “Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?”
Zephaniah 3:5 “The just Lord is in the midst thereof; he will not do iniquity: every morning doth he bring his judgment to light, he faileth not; but the unjust knoweth no shame.”
Zephaniah 2:3 Seek ye the Lord, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness:
Zephaniah 3:2 She obeyed not the voice; she received not correction; she trusted not in the Lord; she drew not near to her God. (See Hebrews 12:5-11; Revelation 3:18-20)
How many times does the word “not” appear in this verse? Sometimes the things we do not do are as important to our destiny as what we do. See the word “Against” in Ephesians 6:12. See also I Corinthians 13:4-6.
Haggai 1:7 “Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways.”
Zechariah 14:20 “In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, HOLINESS UNTO THE Lord; and the pots in the Lord’S house shall be like the bowls before the altar.”
Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts.
“Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord.” MIGHT, KHAYIL, (2428) Means of force – Armies, wealth, great forces, riches, strength or even virtue. Boldness – war, root; to inflict – irresistible abuse RESOURCES POWER, KOAKH, (3581) Strength derived from ability, root; to be firm ABILITY
Christ destroys the Antichrist with the power of His Word streaking out of His mouth, and not with the material weapons created by the world! Natural men put their confidence in natural resources and forces of the world, but spiritual faith has its confidence in God through prayer, truth, angels, miracles, scriptural principles, the precious blood, and obedience to the precept. Solomon’s life is the classic example of Zechariah’s inspired statement. See I Kings 10:14-11:8. This scripture is quoted much and applied to mean many things. But the basic principle being revealed by these divinely inspired words is simply that as God’s children we should not go to nor consult the gods (forces) of this world to achieve desired results. Our resources are in God! Spiritual faith has its resources in God. Humanism has its resources in the world. The anointed life has all of its resources in God, not in the world. Moses didn’t use the resources of the world when he led the children of Israel through the Red Sea. It was the pure power of God. Joshua did not use the resources of the world to cross the Jordan at the time of flooding, or in the bringing down of Jericho. Gideon did not use conventional weapons or alliances with mighty nations to smash the tribute of the Midianites. He had “strange weapons,” 1) A clay pitcher, 2) Torch, and 3) A trumpet, according to God’s instruction causing alien armies to destroy themselves. As the church is immersed in materialism we depend less and less on the divine resources. Barak came against the iron chariots of Sisera and had sweet victory because he went up at the word of prophesy. Natural faith would have never gone up against Sisera with conventional weapons. Natural faith would have never depended on a clay pitcher, torch, and a trumpet as weapons against the world’s mightiest army. Men of the world who trust in the world’s God, Power resources are conquered by men of spiritual faith with no resources in the world. Sisera’s 900 iron chariots speak dramatically of the world’s power. Iron has always been a symbol of war and industry. History tells us that the Hitites were among the first to forge iron into swords. They used their iron swords against Egyptian armies smashing the Egyptian’s brass swords into pieces. It at one time caused the Pharaohs quite a bit of concern until they analyzed a captured Hitite sword and forged their own. How envious sometimes we are of the world’s secular power, its beauty and of its glory. Here lies the morality of1faith. Spiritual faith finds its pleasure and its resources in God. Neo-faith has theorized that if we want to win the world we must make them realize that as Christians we are not inferior, so we dress like them, talk like them and imitate them. But it is not conformity to their methods that makes us effective, it is contrast. Contrast brings conviction to the sinner. Contrast (holiness) is gone from the contemporary movement. Conviction has gone with it. With no depth of conversion, the unregenerate people are brought comfortably into the neo-Christian way. This new concept is neither scriptural nor does it produce converts with depth of salvation. They openly lash out against traditional holiness insisting they are not under bondage. See Flesh and Spirit; Heart Holiness; Bondage; Freedom. The Bible calls it (liberalism) the “broad way.” The grievous thing about the modern Gospel’s prominence is that thousands know nothing of the blessedness of traditional holiness and the true to the Bible walk with God. They only know one way and assume from what their teachers tell them that the “narrow way” is a wretched life of legalism. The truly holy people of God will weep when they think on this.
SECULARISM: A system of doctrines and practices that rejects religious faith and worship. Pertaining to the world or to things not spiritual or sacred. Secularism, a deadly subtle form of worldliness, is the big beloved enemy of the church. It is the mother of materialism, the cradle of apostasy.
The spirit of secularism has infiltrated the church and seduced Gospel preachers to abandon moral precepts. An apostate is one who has capitulated to Satan’s offer to trade their moral principles for success. They, like Esau, have sacrificed the glorious rewards of ultimate good for the immediate pleasures of success. See Genesis 25:33,34. We have turned Christ and His Gospel into a product that sells.
There is no difference between the neo-Christian secularism and worldly secularism in practice. In theory the neo-Christian practitioner of secular humanism simply incorporates the idea of God and gives God and Christ credit for something they achieve through worldly resources and human effort. It is only a sign of our spiritual decadence when we credit God with monies that come in from sending out a full color graphic magazine on a one and a half million name computerized mailing list crammed with spectacular stories and graphics! To say that God uses and works through this process of technology is proof that we have completely lost sight of the efficacy of the cross – “to destroy the works of the devil.” Any ministry that compromises the message of sanctification and is not bent on producing genuine sinless Christianity – any mass media ministry that does not commit itself to the Character accomplishing of supernatural character is a traitor to the whole intent of Christ and His sufferings. When media ministries actually become effective in producing Christians who believe in the traditional holiness values of the Bible, then, and only then, are they of God. No man in his right mind would admit – openly confess – be so brazen as to publicly state that such technology is more effective in building the kingdom of God than the biblical qualities of prayer, fasting, irrational compassion, honesty, separation from the world and the anointing upon a pure and holy life. We have not only seen these qualities wane and being abandoned for the resources of modern technology, but pursue them in such a frenzy there is no proper time for prayer and meditation in the Word … and then call the whole secular mess the blessing of God. The more the church uses and depends on technology to achieve “results,” the less emphasis is being put on Christian character. Reason; the message of perfection, sanctification and separation from the world (and in a time such a message needs stressing) does not have the appeal vital to attracting followers. There is a sort of illicit triangle love affair involving finances (first), faith and the formulas among national evangelists. We use faith as the motive and purpose of our efforts, but the bottom line is, the real love affair is between money and motives. Our aim in productivity is to produce monies rather than disciples. The proof of this is rather obvious – we are producing more money with the Gospel than we are genuine disciples. Wherever this electronic evangelism prevails, worldliness will finally prevail and Bible holiness will be sacrificed for success. Holiness truth will not allow success. These perversions of Gospel commercialism must revert to selling an image of self; a brand of sub-gospel that “sells.” Movements, religious or secular, are built either on the sound principles of good, or by a cheap secular promotionalism. They are easily distinguished.
HUMANISM: A belief that the destiny of man lies in the hands of human ideals and powers … to depend totally on natural (worldly) resources. Neo-Christian humanism incorporates human ideals and powers into divine law and supernatural power to achieve personal religious ideals and ambitions. But it lowers the power of God and the divine resources provided through the Holy Spirit to a secondary and thus inferior source to that of human ability. To depend totally upon God and spiritual resources reflects “total faith.” “Results” have never been an objective of God. Secularism and humanism are both destroyers of all principles of faith and holiness of life. These humanistic philosophies are diametric to the divine operation of God. “That you present your bodies (the human element of life) as a living sacrifice.” Romans 12:2
Biblical holiness cannot be achieved until the humanistic mentality is recognized as a perversion of faith and as the true spirit of worldliness. There has been an invasion of the church by demons of secular ideas, concepts, compromise and humanistic business principles. Results derived from the resources of the world will not reap eternal benefits because they always operate apart from pure biblical doctrines of righteousness and holiness. Matthew 7:22 In the mad rush to achieve “success” through the magic of technology, business psychology and other laws of the secular world, we have necessarily had to trample the holiness life under our feet because it knows no success in the world and it threatened our using these worldly resources. Like Saul, we’ve come forth insisting that “what we’ve done, we’ve done to the honor and glory of God” and therefore, even though we have not complied with the commandments of the Lord, He will surely accept our efforts and accomplishments. We are so obsessed with tangible “results” we’ve completely lost sight of the fact that holiness of life is the real objective of Calvary. See Matthew 7:21. Like the secular lords of the world, we are losing our character as we gain success. Revelation 3:7.
Zechariah 8:3 JERUSALEM SHALL BE CALLED A CITY OF TRUTH; AND THE MOUNTAIN OF THE LORD OF HOSTS THE HOLY MOUNTAIN,
In the closing scenes of history, God’s truth will prevail having crushed the thundering and massive bulwarks of evil that prevailed through the ages. Evil is persistent, but unable to conquer goodness. In the end, every selfish and evil work will be brought into judgment and in the light of eternity, will vindicate truth by vanquishing all who chose to love other than the truth. In the end, truth conquers all of its enemies.
Zechariah 13:8 And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. 9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God.
A remnant is an imperishable group of survivors that refuse to compromise their convictions for power, prominence or prosperity in this present world system! The holiness people will not bow nor be brought low by the intimidations of liberalism. “As long as we are kind to people and worship God, we can disregard the ‘lesser’ commandments without consequences.” The very thing the snake told Eve.
Zechariah 14:20 In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, HOLINESS UNTO THE Lord; and the pots in the Lord’S house shall be like the bowls before the altar. 21 Yea, every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the Lord of hosts: and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them, and seethe therein: and in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the Lord of hosts.
When the common, every-day utensils of life are thus inscribed, surely “in that day” HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD shall be inscribed on human hearts and minds and bodies. In the 21st verse it says that “every (seething) pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the Lord of hosts.” Prophecy indicates that morality will be unpopular in the last days. Matthew 5:10; 2 Timothy 3:3,12. Vocal anti-holiness apostates will increase in number. With great arrogance a wall of worldliness has been thrown up against the remnant Christians who hold to the precious doctrines of holiness and separation. But, the day of holiness is coming! In the soon coming millenial age, HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD, will be engraved on the horses’ bridles in Zion! Campbell’s soup will no longer bear the Universal Product Code of the antichrist computer system, but it may have on the label, HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD! It will be emblazoned on water tanks around Jerusalem, in every classroom, and on every university campus; “HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD.” Holiness has been maligned, discredited and despised by those who close their minds to the divine moral, but God’s moral system will be in during the millennium. The heads of nations will be required to come up to Jerusalem to confess His holiness.
Malachi 1:8 And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? and if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? offer it now unto thy governor; will he be pleased with thee, or accept thy person? saith the Lord of hosts.
The purity of the sacrifice is still important to God. Praise without purity,
prosperity apart from piety is to offer God a cancerous, sick lamb and call it a “sacrifice.” Luke 6:46
Malachi 1:13 Ye said also, Behold, what a weariness is it! and ye have snuffed at it, saith the Lord of hosts; and ye brought that which was torn, and the lame, and the sick; thus ye brought an offering: should I accept this of your hand? saith the Lord. 14 But cursed be the deceiver, which hath in his flock a male, and voweth, and sacrificeth unto the Lord a corrupt thing: for I am a great King, saith the Lord of hosts, and my name is dreadful among the heathen.
The greatest sacrifice we offer to God is the life we have! However, we may have the prerogative to offer ourselves or not, but once we offer ourselves it must be on God’s terms. See Leviticus 3:1.
Malachi 2:5 My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name. 6 The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity. 7 For the priest’s lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts.
One of the most powerful and explicit verses of the Bible to describe those moral qualities God Himself outlines as essential elements of the holy life desired in His priests (ministers).
Malachi 3:3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.
Like priest, like people. It is a fact, hardly with exception, that no people will rise above the righteousness of their leaders. God concentrates His purge upon the priests – once purified they will convey that purity to the people.
Malachi 3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the Lord of hosts.
God classifies those that oppress the “hireling,” the “widow,” the “fatherless (orphans)” and the stranger with sorcerers, adulterers and liars. God continually Poor, The throughout scripture warns us that He takes into account those who violate or take advantage of the poor and the unfortunate (and includes not parking spaces set aside for the handicapped).
Malachi 3:13 Your words have been stout against me, saith the Lord. Yet ye say, What have we spoken so much against thee?
Those who speak against holiness and embarrass holiness people and lash out against separation from the world may not realize that such reproach of righteous practice is equivalent to being stout (2388), CHAZAQ, obstinate, or to take a position against. Apostates see no wrong in their worldliness and if something is pointed out to them they act the same as guilty children; “What have we spoken … against thee?” Love is exclusionary. To love God He demands I exclude any love for the world. The world hates the holy and the worldly hate holiness. John 15:19. A singing group called a pastor and asked to have a service with them. Not knowing them he asked, “Do you believe in holiness?” “Oh, yes!” replied the brother. “Do your ladies wear jewelry, pants, or make-up? Do you have a television or practice public bathing?” “Oh, brother …” the voice quietly said, “those things have nothing to do with holiness.”
1. We seem to not attach moral values to our behavior anymore.
2. Some Christians do not know that holiness includes the heart and the body.
3. In the pastor’s questions, scriptural (and moral) behavior was definitely involved, i.e. modesty, conformity to the world, vanity, adornment, the viewing of evil created by the evil. Psalm 101:1-3.
4. “Every conscious act has moral implications.” C. B. Eavey). To relegate holiness to the abstractness of “love” and “faith” only is a cop-out. Holiness of life implicates the concrete visible behavior of the body. My conduct in its many forms is either discharging a positive moral influence on the environment, or a negative amoral or immoral influence on the environment. To not be cognizant of this moral reality indicates an absence of Holy Spirit presence. Let us not feign innocence when guilt is literally smeared all over our faces and Feigned hanging all over our body. Pretending innocence doesn’t impress God, fool the holy or stay judgment.
Malachi 3:14 Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the Lord of hosts?
God accommodates them. He tells them what they said. They have found fault with the way of life they were taught, they complained of three things. 1) “What profit.” They found no benefits in obedience. 2) “That we kept His ordinance.” They became uncomfortable and incompatible with the moral laws of God. 3) “That we have walked mournfully.” “Let’s have a happy, position religion. This serious life of holy precepts and separation was wrongly taught by our praying fathers. Let’s live ‘before’ ourselves and drop this ‘fear’ religion.”
Malachi 3:15 And now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered.
“Personality plus” qualifies too many of the modern church leaders. This qualifying and selecting leaders on the basis of “what they’ve got on the ball,” or because they are capable, “they’ve got a lot going for them,” is corruption of divine qualification. Character and anointing, not education and looks reflect good judgment. You end up with twisted values, shallow doctrine and immorality.
Note three errors God cites:
1. They confuse pride with happiness. They equated success and riches with God’s approval and blessing. They were elated with their security while displaying a worldly lifestyle. God announces He has nothing to do with this false fleshy “happiness.”
2. Those who have no standard of holiness, no evidence of the divine nature, obedience to the Word, or no moral resemblance to Bible holiness are made leaders and “set up” (seem to prosper) in the church. God announces He is not responsible for such appointments!
3. They tempt God and nothing happens! They violate the commandment and prosper? They live worldly and seem to be blessed!? They disregard the truth of the Word without consequence. They hold in contempt the holy and enjoy security? They break God’s rules without flinching! They teach false doctrine and people listen to them. These were believers and religious, but impious. See Psalm 50:21.
End of Old Testament